Akamai & Sustainable Palm Oil
We are always looking for ways to have an even smaller footprint while delivering the best natural products possible. That’s why we only use palm oil that is RSPO certified (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil) for our 3 in 1 Bar.
In January 2019 we took the added step (and increased cost) to move to “RSPO Segregated” palm oil. “Segregated” means the palm oil we use is both certified organic and only comes from certified sustainable sources. While it does cost more, it was an easy choice since it aligns with our values and is another step ensuring that our palm (like all of our ingredients) is both pure and sustainably sourced. Along with companies like Patagonia, we are on an ongoing journey to improve and be more sustainable.
While the vast majority of palm used in products comes from 3 & 4, we continue to move up the sustainability ladder.
RSPO Palm is rated on a scale of 1 - 4 (1 is the best)
1 = Identity Preserved - fully traceable to one mill (big supply issues)
2 = Segregated - use only certified sources (where we are now)
3 = Mass Balance - a mix of certified and uncertified sources
4 = Green Palm - uncertified sources
What is RSPO Palm Oil?
Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is an international forum founded to create a certification system for sustainably grown palm oil, including environmental and social guidelines for certified growers. Palm plantations that are ethically managed through RSPO or other initiatives provide livelihoods for many local communities and can continue to create economic benefits while coexisting with conserved forestlands. We acknowledge there is disagreement as to whether the current RSPO standards go far enough in reducing the negative environmental and social impacts of palm production. Akamai is considering alternative sourcing options that may be even more stringent.
The RSPO guidelines cover rainforest habitat conservation; fair working conditions and wages; and community engagement on local land use. RSPO principles and criteria for members help ensure their certified palm oil is produced under legal, socially and environmentally responsible management. The World Wildlife Fund has given the RSPO a thumbs up as a big step in the right direction for the production of palm oil in “providing assurance that valuable tropical forests have not been cleared, and social safeguards have been met during the oil’s production”.
Why use palm oil instead of another oil?
- Palm oil has special properties not found in other oils. It’s excellent for skin health and hair because it closely resembles our own body oils. Palm oil helps to restore the natural hair and skin oils that are stripped away by most shampoos and soaps.
- Palm oil is very heat resistant so that it maintains its beneficial properties during manufacturing.
- Soap made with palm oil is especially hard and resistant to “melting”, resulting in an unusually long-lasting bar.
- Palm oil plantations are extremely productive compared to other oil-producing crops and produce for up to 30 years, meaning less land and inputs are required. We are supporting sustainable farming in existing palm oil plantations thereby helping to create market pressure to move the entire palm oil industry toward sustainable practices.
How we’re improving
Akamai is looking into Palm Done Right oil (however adequate supply is a big issue):
- Palm Done Right farmers use organic growing practices. By definition, growing organically means growing without synthetic pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers.
- PDR farmers use multi-cropping—meaning interplanting with other crops such as passion fruit, cacao or pineapple—which increases the biodiversity of the land. Each plant’s root system, nutritional “footprint” and insect attraction profile benefits the other, making a healthier whole. In West Africa, small oil palm plots, typically 2-4 hectares, neighbor plots on which cocoa, citrus, cassava and maize are grown, promoting the area's biodiversity.
- Multi-cropping helps the farmer economically too. Additional crops give farmers a supplemental source of income and can help to even out cash flow depending on how fast a crop yields and when it produces.
- Gold standard natural brand Dr. Bronner sources their palm oil through PDR farmers.
You won't regret the purchase. This soap simplified my shower routine, and it really works exactly as described. Toss out all the other bottles cluttering your shower and get this bar.
I have tried natural toothpastes or powders from time to time as I am health conscious with sensitive teeth. Personally, I believe this is the best mineral toothpaste powder I have used to date. It's pleasant enough, cleans well, and doesn't cause irritation. In fact, one tooth so painful I could hardly touch it became pain free after using the product for about a week. That sold me on it!
I love the company and all of the products I’ve tried but the oil pulling mouthwash is a total transformational product! I had a cavity that was bothering me and after using this I no longer feel any pain or sensitivity. I use it 3 times weekly and my mouth has never felt better!
I have used this soap for about 3 years. Totally trust it Keeps me feeling fresh all day.
Loving skin fuel for removing makeup even waterproof mascara, works in a flash. Use 1or2 pumps for face and neck. Them wait a few wash off with warm wash cloth. Works amazing! Then applying black balm as my night time cream. Skin feels super healthy and alive! Another home run from Akamai!
I liked the infused black floss kit a lot as well as a few other items that I purchased from Akamai. I keep finding new uses for your products. I have been using clean products for several years now, hopping around among a few brands that I like. Now I have a company I can stay with long term and use fewer products overall!
Light feel, light scent, deep conditioning, and brightening. I love this product.
I am liking this toothpaste. My teeth like it. The color looks to be coming back into my teeth- they were beginning to look transparent before. My gums are happier too. I am a satisfied customer.
I really love just having this one bar in my shower. I don't like clutter or things everywhere so I appreciate how simple my shower is now without all the bottles I used to have.
Minimalist, healthy, all-in-one soap/shampoo/shave lotion bar lasts a long time. Skin and hair oil is soothing, really helps counter the Colorado dryness.
Love these products. They are all natural and leave me feeling clean.
My face is super dry, and my skin is extremely sensitive, so I can't use a lot of products. I use Skin Fuel on my face with no issues! Yay, my skin doesn't hate me now!
I use this on my infant daughter’s eczema and it works to smooth and heal her lesions. Thank you!
This is skin magic. Even in winter when all the things are dry and cracking, this is liquid wonder.
Love, Love my Akamai 3 in 1 bar. I have used it to shave & to shower but decided my #1 use is to shampoo with it! I have long hair & can't believe that I don't even need conditioner!
I was a little concerned when I saw the size of the bar but it turns out that it lasts forever. I only use it as soap, not a hair product. I combine it with the skin fuel and I do think my skin feels more hydrated and less sensitive. Dry itchy patches are gone!
My daughter referred me to this toothpaste. I have always used natural toothpaste, but I really like this one and can see it is making a difference in my teeth. I will not go back to other brands.
I use this on my face after a clay mask- it absorbs quickly and keeps you hydrated for days without being heavy or greasy. My skin is no longer flaky or overly oily. It's wonderful!
I had a small growing cavity that my dentist was watching but on my last cleaning he kept looking for it and even made me get x-rays cause he didn't understand what happened. Two months brushing with Akamai, and it made my cavity disappear. Thank you!
This product was AMAZING! Simple yet quality and long lasting! Thank you for making a product that is natural, has simple ingredients, and works so well.
I have enjoyed each product! Very natural and the product descriptions fit well! I would recommend these and buy them again.