You may be familiar with our best-seller, Skin Fuel. It is truly a multi-tasker - a 100% natural moisturizer for face, body, hair, beard, and after-shave, but did you know it works really well for cleaning your skin too?
Why Oil Cleanse?
- Gently lifts away dirt and excess oil
- Won’t dry out your skin; leaves skin smooth and soft
- Nourishes skin with fatty acids and nutrients
- Supports a healthy microbiome
- Works for any skin type
- An all natural alternative to pricey, chemical laden face cleansers.
- Feels great – like a mini-spa for your face – and it’s easy!
Cleaning skin is different from cleaning your clothes. When you wash your face you might assume you need something that lathers, or a specifically formulated “facial cleanser” for your skin type. BUT, your skin depends on its own natural oil (sebum) to support good bacteria (your microbiome) and keep pathogens out. Cleansing with oil works gently to remove dirt, excess oil (not all oil) and make-up without the harsh, biome blasting, drying effects of soap, detergents or other cleansers.
We recommend Skin Fuel for oil cleansing because it is a well balanced blend of fatty acids, that is rich in nutrients, doesn’t feel “greasy” and works well for all skin types.
4 simple steps for oil cleansing at night:
- If you wear makeup, remove it first with a small bit of oil added to a cotton swab or cotton pad or cloth (no water needed) and gently wipe clean.
- To cleanse, apply 2 pumps of Skin Fuel (about ½ tsp) to the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, then apply to your face. Gently massage the oil into your skin with your fingertips, all around your face for about 1 minute or so.
- Next, wet a washcloth with warm water, steam and wipe. Make sure the water is warm enough for a light steam, but not hot to the touch. Put the washcloth over your whole face and let it “steam” for about 5 seconds. Then, slowly move the washcloth around your face, removing the oil - wipe don’t scrub.
- Apply additional Skin Fuel (if needed). For extra hydration, apply oil (and/or the Black Balm for repairing and extra moisture) while your skin is still damp.
For gentle exfoliation, add a teaspoon of sugar, fine salt or baking soda (our favorite) to the oil - mix them in the palm of your hand then apply, using circular motions all around the face, then follow the steps above (steam, wipe, etc.). Exfoliation is essential to help remove dead skin cells and unclog pores, allowing oils to nourish, renew and repair deeper layers of the dermis. And, it makes your skin glow! Do this once or twice a week (depending on your skin - you know best).
And guess what, there is no need to wash your face in the morning (assuming you didn’t add anything toxic to your routine). If you want, a splash of cold water on your face is a great way to refresh the skin (and wake up!).....but that’s it.
No Skin Fuel on hand? You can DIY your oil: Look in your kitchen cabinet for a high quality plant based oil to use. Olive oil works well for dry skin. Grapeseed oil works well for oily skin. Blend the 2 for a neutral oil. Make sure the oil you choose (for eating or for your skin) is organic, cold pressed and unrefined so that it maintains all of its naturally occurring nutrients (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and polyphenols).
Try it! Your skin will thank you ……..and so will your wallet.