(UN)PRODUCT™: 5+ Step AM/PM Beauty Routines
Your beauty is big business.
In fact, annual global sales of beauty products as of 2017 have now topped a whopping $500 billion annually. By following a few steps and learning to radiate beauty from the inside, you can sidestep this industrial machine along with the vast majority of these products — setting yourself free and improving health, while also saving money.
- Reduced daily exposure to suspect chemicals, synthetic scents, preservatives, and potentially harsh essential oils.
- Restoring your face’s natural / healthy biome.
- Less waste & pollution.
- Fewer things to do / fewer things to buy.
- Learn simple, evolved approaches to true natural beauty.
If you believe the hype, then in order to have “good skin” you need tons of products — the more you spend the better you will be — and it’s ok to douse yourself with a wide array of weird sounding synthetic chemicals.
In this industry more is more — the more I pay, the better it is, the more I use the better I will be. But the Personal Care Industry is playing with your mind.
People are getting jerked around by a massive industry that is convincing women and men they need more products.
5+ step beauty routines usually include a bunch of products that claim to give you perfect skin. In reality, they aren’t necessary for healthy skin, and in fact, doing too much to our skin can actually irritate it.
The cosmetic skincare industry is projected to be worth $39.2 billion in the USA, and projected to grow to $185.5 billion by 2027 (see source here).
Plus, think of the impact on the environment stemming from the production and disposal of all these products — and then add to that potential toxic chemical exposure.
So what can I do instead of using 5+ products every morning and night?
Enjoy our product-free beauty regimen.
- Smile — radiates beauty from the inside out. A growing body of research shows (along with empirical evidence) that genuine smiling is not only good for you, it is also attractive to others.
- Wash your face less — only do it when you have to e.g. removing makeup — or sunscreen. For a refresh try getting it wet & simply wiping off with a towel - this age old practice will remove excess oils. Avoid harsh soaps and “cleansers”. Try oil cleansing instead with plant-based oils e.g Skin Fuel.
- Restore facial biome — leave it alone by using fewer products (and thereby dousing it with fewer chemicals), and getting into nature (e.g. gardening, splashing creek water on your face, etc. get dirty!).
- Exfoliate — using a simple, gentle, natural method e.g. baking soda 1x week.
- Hydrate — internally. Drink adequate amounts of water.
- Supplement & eat well — eat nutrient dense whole foods. Address nutrient deficiencies and take core supplements.
- Get adequate sleep & daily exercise — when you’re healthy and feel good, you look good too.
- Take basic core supplements — (e.g. magnesium, plant-based multivitamin, plant b complex, sulphur / silica (precursor to collagen) — found in foods like seaweed, raw honey, and bee pollen — or in standalone supplements like MSM).
- Do things to reduce chronic inflammation — chronic inflammation is known to accelerate the aging process on both cellular and systemic levels (for an overview, see this great article by Dr. David Jockers: Inflammaging: The Role of Inflammation in the Acceleration of Aging).
When you choose NOT to use every single item suggested to you, consider the chemicals you're NOT putting on your skin.
Below is the list of ingredients for a nighttime routine from an industry-leading personal care brand. By our count, 108 ingredients — most of which are man made from the chemical industry. We never put this on our skin — would you?
Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Salicylic Acid, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Fragrance, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, Polyquaternium-7, Yellow 5, Red 40.
Active: Salicylic Acid 2%. Inactive: Water, Alcohol Denat., Butylene Glycol, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, Sodium Citrate, Fragrance, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, PEG/PPG-20/6 Dimethicone, Cetyl Lactate, Benzalkonium Chloride, Sodium Benzotriazolyl Butylphenol Sulfonate, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycolic Acid, Yellow 6, Red 40.
Active: Benzoyl Peroxide 10%. Inactive: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Steareth-2, Zinc Lactate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol, Laureth-4, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Menthol.
Water, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Tapioca Starch, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Retinol, Retinyl Propionate, Niacinamide*, Palmitoyl Pentapeptide-4**, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, DMDM Hydantoin, Polysorbate 20, Laureth-4, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Laureth-7, Dimethiconol, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Aminomethyl Propanol, Titanium Dioxide, Disodium EDTA, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Capryl/Caprylic Triglyceride, *Vitamin B3, **Amino-Peptide.
Moisturizing Cream (day/night):
Water, Pentaerythrityl Tetraethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Dimethicone, PPG 15 Stearyl Ether, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Behenate, Ceteareth 20, Isohexadecane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polyethylene, Sodium Polyacrylate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Crosspolymer, Polyacrylamide, PTFE, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Chlorphenesin, Polysorbate 20, Hydrolyzed Myrtus Communis Leaf Extract, Retinol, BHT, Sodium Hyaluronate, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Laureth-7, Ascorbic Acid.
Anti-wrinkle Eye Cream:
Water, Pentaerythrityl Tetraethylhexanoate, Dimethicone, Glycerin, PPG-15 Stearyl Ether, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Ceteareth-20, Isohexadecane, Trisiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Polyacrylamide, Polyethylene, Chlorphenesin, C13-14 Isoparaffin, PTFE, Hydrolyzed Myrtus Communis Leaf Extract, BHT, Sodium Hyaluronate, Disodium EDTA, Laureth-7, Ascorbic Acid, Polysorbate 20, Retinol, Sodium Hydroxide.
“Seeing how many chemicals go on/in your body through a multi-step skincare routine is scary — makes me concerned about what's going on our bodies and down our drains. Will be sharing with as many people as possible.” — Rebecca
“Unreal! This is eye-opening for me, as a consumer who loves self-care and facial routines. I could have avoided thousands of unnecessary chemicals all these years. Cleaning things up right away!” — Courtney